Thursday, November 10, 2016

Then and Now...Poolside Thoughts

Today Jaklyn and I went on a walk. The weather in Texas right now is so gorgeous it almost makes up for it being so miserable the whole summer. After we walked a little and got the mail we stopped and sat by the pool for a minute and enjoyed the sun and cool breeze. Jaklyn loves being outside and it was so pleasant to just sit by my baby girl and enjoy life.

I realized that just 4 months ago I had been sitting in this very same chair, enjoying one last relaxing day at the pool with Tyler and awaiting the arrival of our baby girl. I remember despite being huge and achy, being so relaxed and happy, just reading a book poolside. The epitome of relaxed.

While pondering my thoughts turned to my life now, and I was almost surprised to find the same feelings of happiness there was on that day 4 months ago, maybe even more. Is it as relaxed and carefree? No. But it is joyful, fulfilling, and exhausting happiness.

Transitioning to motherhood has been an adjustment, but I finally am finding myself in a good groove (which probably means we're about ready for another schedule change). I've got a few things figured out, and have gained the confidence in myself as a mother to continue to work on the things that are hard. I've redefined my definition of what a "productive" day looks like (often just caring for the baby, eating myself, getting out of the house, maybe showering, and sometimes cooking dinner) and often step away from the to-do list to just spend time with my sweet baby girl before she grows up right before my eyes.

It is a fast and slow paced life all at once, and it has brought me more joy than I have ever experienced. It is a wonderful thing to realize you are truly content and happy with your own life.





1 comment:

  1. I love this! How true that life changes so much, but it's such a blessing to find joy in each circumstance. You are an amazing person and mother!

    ReplyDelete